Friday, June 26, 2009

Cool Beans!

Most of you know that I have been highly interested in the whole Elimination Communication thing this time around. I have read a lot about it, and had planned on trying it at some point when things calmed down around here. So it was just lurking the back of my mind. This morning, Bethany sent me an email with a link to someone's blog who was talking about that very subject. It wasn't anything I didn't already know, but it got me thinking about the whole process again.

Then, while I was nursing Daphne earlier, she started fussing and fidgeting. I was pretty sure I knew what was about to happen and after pondering it for a moment, I decided to put her on the potty just to see what she would do. After about 30 seconds, she pooped!! And then she gave me the biggest grin as if to say "Good job, Mommy! You figured it out!" I was ecstatic! I had to get Emma lunch, so I put Daphne down for a moment before we continued nursing. She started fidgeting again, so I figured why not? I put her on the potty again, and lo and behold she peed!! And again, I got the biggest grin!

I have read stories like this time and time again from a hundred different people, but honestly a little part of me was still thinking "yeah, right." It is just so opposite of what we are taught to think! But she really was pleased that she didn't do it on herself, and I could tell she understood that's what the potty was for. So nifty!! Anyway, I will continue to update on how it goes. I know it won't always be this rosy, but I don't really care. Just catching it once or twice a day is pretty cool to me!

7 comments:

Bethany said...

Yeah!!! That is so exciting. I am happy that it worked for you and Daphne thought it was so great.

j.j. said...

Keep us posted!

senojsitruc said...

Thanks! And it is a lovely state. And the gun laws improved while I was away. The traffic laws took a serious dive though. I heard something about 85mph+ now being a felony. I hope I misunderstood. That's just dumb.

Of course, I don't yet own a car. I need to take care of that. I really don't want to buy a car. I've been quite content without one.

My Thoughts Exactly said...

Go Amy! I'm thinking about this with baby #2 also. It is exciting to hear it actually happening!

My Thoughts Exactly said...

Read any good books about this? I am looking at two: Diaper Free: The Gentle Wisdom of Natural Infant Hygiene and Infant Potty Training: A Gentle and Primeval Method Adapted to Modern Living. Do you know anything about these?

The Budget Mommy: said...

I have heard of these books, but I haven't bought any on the subject. To be honest, I am loving these cloth diapers so much that I don't have much motivation to try. I continued to put her on the potty a few more times and she started freaking out every time. So I am waiting a little longer before I try again. If you read any tips on dealing with such responses, lemme know.

My Thoughts Exactly said...

I read some reviews in more detail and think the books might be too out there for me. I'm willing to try, but I'm not going diaper-free and all that.

I didn't do cloth dipes with Ethan but I am with the new babe. I'm looking at BumGenius b/c a friend loves them. What are you using?