Thursday, October 18, 2007

Worst. Mom. Ever.

I lost bear friend. He must have fallen out of the stroller or the car and I didn't see him fall. I called every store we went to and no one had him. And now he's gone forever. Thankfully we have a backup, but we had to ride home without him. Emma gets this scream that gets so frantic she's been known to throw up. And of course her two top molars have broken through so I deprived her of bear friend when she was in pain. I don't know what happened to him. I have traced and retraced my steps that evening and I have no idea where he went. I am the worst mom ever. Emma is apparently over it though. She gave me my first kiss yesterday, right on the lips. It was melt your heart sweet. So at least she's already forgiven me. I hope.

12 comments:

My Thoughts Exactly said...

Aww! Don't feel bad...these things happen! I just saw an idea in Parenting magazine that might work for replacement-bear friend. This mom went to the pet store (or they usually have these at Wal-mart) and made one of those engraved dog tags for her child's fav stuffed animal (with the animal's name and her phone number). She tied it securely around the animal's little neck and now gets a phone call whenever it gets lost.

Anonymous said...

Poor Bear friend. She throws up when she gets upset? Wow. Yikes!

But you're certainly not the worst mom ever. Case and point, I just sat on the subway with an 80 lb. 4-year old eating a giant ice cream sunday. Yup. I think you're alright. Then I had a friend tell me she wouldn't breast-feed her already-underweight baby because he (at 2 wks old) was biting her and smiling about it. Doesn't that make you furious?

Off my high horse, though. Saw this online today. Thought you might find this interesting.

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20071018/ap_on_re_us/vaccine_skeptics

The Budget Mommy: said...

That tag idea is a great one. Mom and I were talking about making a label and maybe sewing it on, but the tag thing sounds easier. Thanks for the thought!

Anna - Wow. You could tell her I kept breastfeeding even after Emma got two teeth at 4 months, and by the end she had 6. She tried to bite me once and I screamed and she screamed and she never did it again.
She doesn't always throw up when she's upset. She just throws up when she's been screaming for 20+ minutes over not having bear friend (yes, it's happened before, and yes I do mean SCREAMING.)
I DO give Emma ice cream, but not THAT much. I don't even eat that much!
And the article...I just don't even know where to start. If vaccines are so great, then why does it matter if I don't vaccinate my child? Yours won't get sick. Oh but wait, sometimes it doesn't fully take. Well then what's the point of doing it at all?! I think the very notion that we have to get exemptions and that the government makes these things mandatory is absurd! Anyway. I could go on and on and on as everyone well knows.

s said...

i'm sorry bear friend disappeared, but perhaps he'll turn up somewhere? i just found a sweatshirt and skirt last night that i've been looking for all summer.

i don't think it makes you the worst mom ever, but if you go any longer without posting pictures of my niece, i might change my mind on that one...

The Budget Mommy: said...

Still no router, deary. Can't upload em.

The Budget Mommy: said...

Oh, and I know he was in the car when we left, and he isn't in the car anymore. I have a very definite sinking feeling he's gone gone gone.

Elizabeth said...

Sorry about bear friend. At least you know where to find them. And at least it doesn't cost $50 every time you have to replace him. :-) You aren't the worst mom every. I left several things IN MINNESOTA (I think) that we won't see until next year, MAYBE. :-) Thankfully, Kate doesn't love & adore any one thing over another, except for people, so unless I lose me or Josh, I think we're all good.

j.j. said...

Now you're glad you forked out the $$ for the extra bear friend, right?!! It's amazing how good kids are at throwing around those things they love. I still keep an eye on Lydia when we're out. She still has to have her tag-a-long Pup. I had the windows down in the car the other day and then it occurred to me that she might get the idea to toss something out the window...

The Budget Mommy: said...

I was just thinking about the out the window idea. I really hope Emma never tries that(or Lydia for that matter)!! It was $20 before to buy a new one. Now it's $30. Oh the pain!!!!

Anonymous said...

Awww, I am so sorry. Glad you had back-up bear-friend. So, she's doing better?

Anonymous said...

Amy: I will have to tell you the story about Dan's bear.For those who don't know,Dan is my youngest son. I don't think Becky would mind me telling this beacause I thought it was so sweet and funny at the time. Well anyway Dan was taking a brunch of boys on a cammping trip I believe it was in New Jersey. They were getting their sleeping bags out and Dan throw his open on the floor and their flew out his bear,the last one I bought for he and Mike. You can imagine the up rooar from the kids. I don't know if it got sent on another trip or not but I thogught that was the cutest thing for Becky to do and I'm sure now Dan would think so also and even then. I don't know if Mike still has his bear but you all might ask him. I geel pretty sure that Dan does.Granny

Anonymous said...

Totally agree. Get this: 7 yr old boy in NJ (I think it was) suspended for drawing a gun...and yet, there are schools handing out contraceptives to 11 yr olds, and others requiring 8 yr olds to get HPV shots. Seriously, it's enough to make me Amish...or at least write that down on my exemption form. ;-) Just thought you would get a kick out of their intersting rhetoric of "balance" in the article. Typical negativity toward something until the final few paragraphs where they pull a switch. I don't know, but I do find it interesting that so many parents are beginning to feel this way. My question is, is there an alternative? Can we improve these things so that concerns about both danger of the vaccine and danger of disease are met simultaneously? I guess that one will have to wait until enough people pull out to create a crisis in the drug industry...? Sigh.