Thursday, November 01, 2007

Halloween

I never really had intentions of trick or treating with my munchkin, mostly because she won't remember it, and her little legs can't carry her that far. Then yesterday evening we went out to play after dinner and our neighbor friend Jessica was outside all dressed up and wondering what Emma would wear. After many of the kids who have grown to love Emma came around and asked what she was wearing, I figured why not? So we suited up in a Steelers Cheerleader outfit that Darlene bought for Emma in PA and grabbed her little purse to collect candy in. We met up with Jessica's mom and a few of our other English as second language neighbors and started off. Emma had a blast especially after she discovered the lollipops in her purse! We walked a ways with everyone and had a good time going to a few houses. Mostly though, Emma just watched the kids run around like mad, and I just enjoyed the unfamiliar chatter around me. It's funny because the families who aren't from America are so much kinder and more respectful than any of the Americans who live on our block. All of those parents were walking around smoking and looking like trailer trash while their kids ran a muck. The people I was with interacted with me and were very kind to my VERY white self. They also keep their homes up better than any American on this block. I am far afield, but I just thought it worth noting. I had a great time and Emma did too. She was WAY past her bedtime, but she didn't fuss one bit. And now that she has discovered candy, we're in big trouble!!! (And no, still no router. Sorry! Though I have oh so many pictures to show!!)

4 comments:

s said...

my favorite trick-or-treater was a three year old little boy dressed like Yoda from star wars. his bag of candy was too big for him, but he insisted on dragging it still. so as he walked away from the house, he was hunched over and waddling and looked exactly like Yoda. it was too cute!

s said...

p.s. we went through FIVE bags of candy. i got two, and my roommate didn't realize it and got another three. at the end of the night, there were only 6 pieces left! it was my most successful night of handing out candy ever!!

Anonymous said...

Amy: I don't know if Sarah had told you about their church being all Oriental and she said that they had ask she and Ryan to please be at the door to greet so they would have some "cOLOR" AND people would stay and not think they were all their color. They want more :White People " to join with them. Now this means that you and SARAH are the Same COLOR> My experience was I had been out and came home with no chidlren coming to my house in years so I didn't have one thing to offer. I told them that I had just gotten home and one little boy said he saw me drive in. Well I thought as the door bell rang what am I going to do. So I just said I'm so sorry I don't have anything to give you but could I just sing you a song. Their eyes just lite up and I sang Jesus Loves Me. They didn't make a move.When I finished I ask have any of you ever heard that song and a couple raised their hands and off they went. I was treated far more than they were for the look on their faces. Love Yo'All,Granny

Elizabeth said...

I'm impressed. For not planning on doing Halloween that you had something "costumey" enough on hand. Sorry about the internet problems.