I basically made this up and thought I would share it since it was so yummy and easy! Most of the measurements are guesses since I rarely use measuring spoons, so feel free to add more or less of the spices. I pounded the chicken breasts in between wax paper with a heavy spoon since I don't have a mallet, and it was extremely easy. Plus Emma thought it was funny, so that was a bonus.
3 slices whole wheat bread, toasted
2 tsp oregano
2 tsp garlic powder
1 tsp salt
1/2 tsp pepper
1 Tbsp Parmesan cheese, grated
1 egg, beaten
2 tsp milk
3 chicken breasts, pounded to about 1/4" thick
3 Tbsp mozzarella cheese
Preheat oven to 350. Place a wire rack inside a rimmed baking sheet.
Place the bread slices in food processor or coffee grinder and grind until coarse crumbs. Place in a bowl and add oregano, garlic powder, salt, pepper, and Parmesan cheese. Mix well.
In a separate bowl, combine beaten egg and milk with a fork.
Take the pounded chicken breasts and dip into egg and milk mixture, then into the bread crumb mixture. Place chicken on prepared wire rack. You can drizzle some olive oil on top of the chicken at this point for a little more crunch. Bake for 20-25 minutes, then sprinkle 1 Tbsp mozzarella cheese on top of each chicken breast. Heat until cheese is bubbly, about 2-3 minutes. If you want the breading a little more crunchy you can throw the chicken into the broiler for a minute or two before you add the cheese.
I served it with linguine and a little tomato sauce, and garnished with extra cheese. All in all I think it was an excellent recipe and the chicken was perfectly moist, not over cooked at all. You also save the fat and the time by baking it. Oh and the clean up is a snap! I hope you enjoy! Oh, and it served Brian, Emma, and me with about a breast and a half left over, so I guess it basically serves 6 with the addition of the pasta.



8 comments:
Amy: That is the nost yummy sounding chicken dish and when you're ready,your Dad,Mom and I could come and use up the whole (6) receipe. What do you say to that? Love yo'ms granny
I would love that!
Sounds delicious, Amy!
look at that ticker go! good job on your progress!
Thank you! I am super excited, actually!
Yeah, I was just noticing your ticker. So, what has proved to be the magic ingredient (besides the TICKER, obviously?)
Working my butt off (literally!) Basically over the past few months I made a big point to scale back how much I was eating. I also started counting fat grams which has been vastly more helpful than counting calories. And I have fallen in love with extremely strenuous cardio workouts on the elliptical and I have started doing weight training. So that's the short answer. Basically just eating much better and much less, and working out really hard! The unfortunate old fashioned way to do it.
Sounds yummy. Have to try. Oh, yes, I totally agree with you on the unfortunate part of the "unfortunate old fashioned way to do it." Sigh. There's just no way around it, despite all of the commericials that try to prove otherwise. December was a booger. Back to the "unfortunate old fashioned way." It's funny, though, once you get into it, it becomes rather enjoyable. Just that first hump...or the second, if you're having to "start again" after over-enjoying all of New York City's finest Chinese take-out and on-every-single-corner-pizza while moving to a new apartment...not that I'm suffering from any of the above...
OH, and speaking of losing weight, you know whose done exactly what we're talking about? My mother! I saw her for the first time in six months and I almost didn't recognize her. It's unbelievable! She has the same "unfortunate" testimony, too.
;-)
I really swear by those banana popcicles, though. They have SAVED me on many an occasion.
Post a Comment