Wednesday, January 02, 2008

Only a little bit of a slacker...

Well. I think I can finally say I understand why the holidays get so hectic. I don't know why we've been spared in the past, but this year things were crazy! Between visiting family and shopping and car trouble we have managed to lose an entire month and I don't know where it went! I told Brian is seems like yesterday we were so looking forward to a month off from law school. How can it be starting back Monday?! Sarah came in to town on the 15th, and was here for two weeks. We managed shopping trips, a night out, and many a slaughter at Mexican Train. It was a really enjoyable break. It just flew!

Christmas went really well, though Emma is still a little young to really get it. She enjoyed opening the wrong presents, and mostly was happy to take all of her things and put them in and out of boxes. In fact, out of all the presents she received, the one she is the most obsessed with are these wooden eggs I bought her from target. She LOVES them! She had about 20 toys to chose from after Christmas was all over and she consistently went straight for the eggs. I think she has been dying to have food to cook with like mommy, and she loves to feel all grown up. Eggs are such a grown up thing! She mastered some form of "Aunt Sarah," "Christmas Tree," and "Chair." Who even knew she knew the word chair? No one tried to teach it to her! So now I am waiting for "please." Think she'll learn THAT one on her own? Unfortunately, due to all the craziness, Emma got sick with a cold last Wednesday that does not seem to want to go away. Then Brian and I both got it, and have also been sick since Friday. We all three spent yesterday sleeping and just feeling yucky, and sadly, it was our only real day off this whole break. We were due. The Lord spared us all last semester and we have been remarkably well. At least we weren't all sick exam week!

Oh, on the car note. Our Honda (a 2003) was making a really loud noise when we drove it. We knew it had something to do with wheels or tires, we just weren't sure what exactly was wrong. Brian took it to his usual place and they told us it was the wheel bearings, which would cost over $500. So while I was cringing at the though of kissing our just arrived tax refund away, I decided to get a second opinion. We called Michelle Cunningham and got the number of their mechanic, who said he'd look at it for us. Sure enough, he said there was not a thing wrong with the bearings, and all we needed were two new tires and to have the wheel reshaped. It was literally half the cost, and let me just tell you that we were thrilled! And we're never going back to the other place. When Brian told them what the second opinion was, they again lied to him and told him he would need to be two new wheels also. So if you need the number of a great mechanic, let me know!

Also some super helpful info to pass on: I received an email from Granny about how if you put vicks vapor rub on your feet and then put socks on, it will help you sleep undisturbed if you have a bad cough. I thought it was kind of funny, but Michelle's daughter had been really sick with a cough and so I figured why not? The worst it could do is not work! So I forwarded it on to Michelle and she just happened to received it when her daughter, Ashley, was coughing so badly they were planning on taking her to the ER. They figured they might as well try it, and within 10 minutes Ashley was sound asleep, not coughing, and slept all night. Emma's cold has given her a bit of a cough also, so we tried it last night after she woke herself up coughing and she slept well the rest of the night. As crazy as it sounds, it works. So give it a try!

One final thing. Brian was super thoughtful for Christmas! He got me a beautiful shirt from Ann Taylor Loft that he was so proud of. He had no help from me whatsoever and it was perfect! He has also promised me a spa treatment of my choosing at the location of my choosing, so that leads me to a question. Does anyone have any insight on a good location? I think I want to try a body wrap, so if anyone has any advice to offer please let me know! My hubby is the sweetest =).

Aunt Sarah took lots and lots of pictures. My camera battery was dying and I could never remember to charge it. So go look at Sarah's Facebook page for holiday pics. Sorry! =)

1 comments:

The Budget Mommy: said...

What isn't bad for you? I remember that lanolin was the only thing that helped me cope with nursing for those first few months. Then I was told that it was highly toxic! Maybe! So I am starting to roll my eyes when I hear stuff like that (thought I am in no way rolling my eyes at you!) I think if you aren't using this stuff constantly then I don't think it should be too much of a problem. All things in moderation...