I have never loved the time change very much. Something about being forced to lose an hour of sleep in the spring makes me dream up wild government conspiracies and in general makes me cranky. Never did I ever in my wildest dreams realize just how bad the time change can be for a child! Especially one who is on a pretty tight sleeping schedule. Enter last Sunday. I was thinking it wouldn't be great, but Emma is resilient. She tends to bounce right on back from stuff like this. We should be all smiles by Monday, at the latest! Right? Wrong. I was lulled into thinking things were hunky dory on Sunday evening, but Monday was a whole different story. I put her down at her usual time and she proceeded to scream for the next two hours or so. I thought she was dying, and then I realized she really was just protesting bed time which she never does. This kept up every single night this week. Screaming for half an hour. Silence. Me silently doing a jig that she is asleep. SCREAM. Me shaking my head. So last night I went for a jog to escape the screaming, and when I got back Brian and I decided I would go to Target today and get some new blinds. And while they didn't have exactly what I was looking for, we ended up trying out these (only in a really cute brown):

This afternoon we put her down for a nap that she usually barely sleeps an hour for. Two hours later I purposefully slammed the front door so she would wake up! I was already in love with these drapes, but could they pass the ultimate test? Would they help knock her out at bed time? We did our usual routine, and before I threw her into her pjs I closed the blinds and then the shades. She immediately started sucking her thumb and happily said "night night" when I got her dressed and put her in her crib. And now she is sleeping soundly after maybe a nanosecond of crying and I am JUMPING UP AND DOWN! But quietly!
2 comments:
ROFLOL!!! THAT IS GREAT! getting blinds to get a child to sleep. Almost like brainwashing a kid into believing your tricks. Yet it really works! I will have to remember that trick! I am still laughing.
Uh YEAH!!!!!!! I still love our blackout curtains that I have behind pretty curtains. They really make Kate's room quite dark when it needs to be! It took K several days to adjust to the time change as well. Of course, her maladjustment was just waking up earlier!! Not fun!
Post a Comment