Friday, May 18, 2007

My latest recipe rave

I already told you about the cookbook that I love, so I thought I would quickly give you one of the recipes. Let me start out by saying that I used to be terrified of whole chickens..but not anymore!

Stick a whole chicken in your crock pot. You can add whatever you want inside: celery, garlic, onion, carrots..you know the drill. I just put a whole bunch of garlic cloves since I have one million of them (I love costco!) Anyway, don't put any liquid in. Cook it on high for 4 hours (I was skeptical, but it was done) then take the chicken out (I used tongs and a spatula...it was pretty difficult though becuase it was falling apart) and let it cool. Also at this point drain out the broth and stick it in your fridge. Scrape off the fat when it cools and then use it when you need chicken broth. Now pick the chicken apart. That's pretty much the hardest part, by the way. It takes about 15 minutes to do. Then you take the meat (you can use half or all of it depending on how many you are feeding) and throw it in a skillet. Add a can of black beans undrained, some garlic powder, cumin, salt and pepper and there you go. Heat it up and throw it into a tortilla with salsa, sour cream, cheese...whatever your heart desires. And serve it with Publix yellow rice, and you have the most insanely cheap and tasty meal on the planet!

Let me just say that I do not like dark meat and neither does Brian, but when you cook it in the crock pot it's so tender that it really doesn't matter. Also, when you add it into that recipe you really cannot taste it. I LOVE this recipe, and I am so impressed with how cost effective it is and how GOOD it is! If you buy the chickens from costco, it's a phenomenally better deal than if you buy a whole chicken from a regular grocery store, so you're cutting costs all over the place! So anyway. I will stop ranting now, but you have to try this. It's so easy!!

10 comments:

j.j. said...

Hmmm....maybe I will give this one a try. I generally avoid whole chickens myself, but I can do the crock-pot thing!
So you don't have to buy 5 whole chickens or anything when you shop at Costco?!

Elizabeth said...

Yikes! I bought a whole chicken once and put it in my freezer. . It went straight from the freezer to the trash since I waited for 7 months to do anything with it. :-) The recipe sounds pretty time intensive. How much chicken do you get out of it -- enough for several meals? I will say that it smelled delicious when I was at your house the other day.

The Budget Mommy: said...

When you buy from costco you get two chickens..cook one,freeze the other.

As far as being intensive, it really isn't. Takes about 15 minutes, if that, to get it rolling in the crock pot. Then it cooks while you do whatever, then you pick it, again taking maybe 15 minutes. Making the burritos takes maybe 5 minutes since you're just cooking long enough to heat everything up. And it makes a LOT of food. Mom, Dad, Brian and I all ate it for dinner, Brian and I ate it for lunch the next day and we both had it for another meal later on. And that was only half the meat from the chicken. The rest of the meat we almost didn't get through...so it definitely lasts, and you can use that other half for anything, so it stretches into far more than just one meal...and I am a big fan of stretching things out!

Elizabeth said...

Well, you've inspired me to buy a whole chicken -- we'll see if it will crawl into the crock pot by itself. :-)

The Budget Mommy: said...

Yeah! It's so easy...you will love it!

Kelley said...

What's the per pound price at Costco? They're building one in Greenville but it won't open until July. Graham picked up a whole chicken at Publix for .99 a pound so I'm curious how that compares to Costco.


My chicken is happily cooking in my crockpot - we're trying this for dinner tonight.

The Budget Mommy: said...

$.69 per pound...did you like it?

Kelley said...

We did. Graham pulled the chicken apart for me (he actually enjoys doing it) and had a hard time not eating the meat as he went! Now I need to figure out what to do with the other 1/2 of the meat we didn't use. I'm thinking some type of casserole.

The Budget Mommy: said...

Yeah it's great for casseroles or chicken salad. Or your could make yummy quesadillas by just throwing it with some chese into two tortillas and heating it up in a skillet. That is to die for too.

Elizabeth said...

Well, I'm making this chicken for the 2nd time today, and I know Jen made it this week too. You've started a cheap cookin' rage!