Monday, July 16, 2007

The black and white dog and the orange cat...

Side by side on the carpet sat:


More like faced, but who's keeping track?
That 95 pound mammoth of a dog belongs to one of the families I used to nanny for pre Emma. Her name is Toby and she hates the kennel, so her family asked me if we would mind watching her since she loves me so (she would come running up and attack me every morning when I got to work, positive that I was there only for her.) Of course we said absolutely, but it's been interesting watching a dog that's the size of my house. At least she isn't uppity. Then this would be a VERY interesting two weeks.

My cute baby dancing and clapping at what is soon to no longer be* Nonny and Grumpa's house. So sad!!




Emma took her first foray into our front yard, and as expected she immediately began eating the grass. I keep trying to tell her it's not organic but she just won't listen!





* My husband called me out...I split that infinitive in the worst kind of way. So sorry to all of you out there who winced. Soon no longer to be.

10 comments:

Anonymous said...

I hope that Toby does not drop that much saliva inside your house!

Anonymous said...

Actually, an infinitive can be split! It's one of those new-fangled returnings of the English language, much akin to the now chique beginning-a-sentence-with-a-conjunction. Perfectly acceptable. You can ask Dr. Butcher (one of my friends on facebook), who is quite the authority. ;-) The justification is that the old rule is purposeless and stuffy, for, splitting infinitives actually operates to further and enhance the meaning of the sentence, especially for the sake of emphasis. So, split away! (That is only to pointedly designate infinitives, and not such things as pants and marriages.)

Kelley said...

Is Toby a bernese mountain dog? He looks bigger than those but his coloring is very similar. Either way, he's very pretty (Or should I say handsome).

The Budget Mommy: said...

She is in fact a Swiss mountain dog, cousin to the bernese. She is a gorgeous dog, and yes, she slobbers like that in the house too.

I am sure there are all sorts of rules in grammar that no longer apply. For instance, NO ONE knows the difference between less and fewer. IT DRIVES ME CRAZY. But I will still abide by the old rules. They seem safer somehow.

Kelley said...

Hey - I know the difference between less and fewer! :-) I think you and Graham would get along very well. He's a stickler for proper grammar and being married to him has definitely upped my knowledge of proper grammar (specifically the use of less and fewer!)

Elizabeth said...

Anna, don't let Mrs. Boyd here you. I think she has her ears even in these blogs. Or Sarah D or Jen. . . their sensitive ears may just explode when you tell them that splitting infinitives is okay.

I cannot believe that you took the dog job on. I hope you survive 2 weeks of pet-city.

j.j. said...

Amy - I must say I caught the split infinitive. Did I ever tell you that in college I wrote this paper for history class and the TA circled my infinitive and wrote that it was awkward and suggested I split it for ease of reading? I couldn't believe it! (Of course, he didn't refer to his correction as a split infinitive... Sarah and I had a good chuckle.)
And Liz, better hope Mrs. B won't notice your spelling =)

Elizabeth said...

Wow -- I haven't committed such a boondoggle in a LOOONGG time. pardone moi!

Anonymous said...

Emma's little white shirt is just adorable, especially with the summery back drop of your front yard.

Lisa said...

The outfit Emma is wearing is so cute!