Monday, July 02, 2007

A little help

I know I need to post a new update, but I don't have time right now. I need some help. I weaned Emma two weeks ago, and was expecting to lose a few pounds right off the bat like I did when she started on solids. Well, not only has that NOT happened, I have GAINED 5.5 pounds. That's right. I now weigh more than I did right after Emma was born. I have been exercising (though not as regularly as I should) and I have been really trying to watch what I eat. So now I am throwing my hands up in the air ready to shoot myself for being so fat and I really don't know what to do. I now have 25 pounds to lose to get back to where I was pre pregnancy and I am really worried it's not going to happen. I am really worried I won't even get close. I have also been feeling really sluggish and headachey, just overall unwell, and would like to do some sort of a detox program so if anyone has any suggestions, I am all ears. I just don't know what else to do. And no, I am not pregnant. Thanks for your help in advance!

6 comments:

Rebecca said...

Oh goodness! I'm sorry! It could be due to the fact that despite the needed fat stores that breastfeeding takes, it also can burn up to around 500 calories a day.

When I diet while breastfeeding I try to get around 1700 calories a day to compensate for the needed extra calories. I really like breastfeeding because I can lose easier just by counting calories, yet I can still eat more than I would normally! It's great!

When dieting while not breastfeeding I have to limit down to around 1300 - 1500 calories a day or I simply don't lose weight! Counting calories is a pain but sometimes it is the only thing that works for me. I also did the sparkpeople.com website and found it very helpful and inspiring. It just recommends exercises and foods according to the info you give it. There are lots of articles that are helpful too and a calorie/exercise tracker. Check it out if you want! You might like it. :) Good luck!

j.j. said...

Hey - I meant to tell you yesterday that you looked really cute. Nice outfit and the shoes were definitely new-- I was impressed!! =)
I don't think I'm qualified to offer diet advice, but here are some things that might help.
1)Try to eat smaller meals thoughout the day and be DONE eating a couple of hours before you hit the sack for the night.
2)Drink water.
3)Try walking as often as possible for exercise... you get extra points for pushing a stroller, right?
4)Write down everything you eat in a day or two.
5)Don't skip breakfast. I notice a big difference in my energy when I eat something better for me like oatmeal.
6)Don't agonize over eating a piece of chocolate or some ice cream...just don't overdo it.
7)Try eating meals off of a smaller plate. Serve a reasonable portion and just take your time eating it. (I know when I eat too fast I end up eating more than I need.)
I wish I could say I was good about doing these things myself. (I'm not looking forward to the work required to shed my pounds either!!) I think some of my main downfalls are drinking coke, making poor food choices when I let myself get "too hungry" and just eating more than I need.
Ok - I almost thought about deleting this whole thing...do with it what you will!

Lisa said...

Amy, I am fat now...so maybe you wont want my advice, but I have had success losing weight with ediets.com It is not too expensive and it gives you menus (counting calories for you). I used ediets to lose weight for my wedding (15 - 20 lbs). The drawback for me is that Denis wont eat that food (even though I find it tasty). So I wasn't able to stick with it for very long after the babies, since I had to make 2 dinners every night. Now I am trying Atkins (which isn't as unhealthy as I thought it would be, if you follow the instructions on Atkins.com). Denis likes these recipes, and I can just add rice/pasta/biscuits/bread, etc. for he and the kids. It is working. 10lbs in 3 weeks. And I am not too hungry. Finally, if you are looking for a good detox...try www.drnatura.com I used that this past January and it was helpful.

Kelley said...

I lost 25 pounds doing a modified low carb diet. It wasn't anywhere near as strict as Atkins - mainly just trying not to eat foods that had empty carbs without fiber (like staying away from white bread but sweet potatoes in moderation were ok.) I also did weight lifting 3x a week since building up muscle helps you burn more calories. Lastly, the biggest thing that helped me (and Graham succeed) was that we did it together. When I was feeling down he helped cheer me on and vice versa. Also since we were both eating the same thing I wasn't tempted by his food. He didn't lose as much as I did but he really gained some nice muscle mass and looked a lot more slender. Since I've gotten pregnant he's gained weight with me so I have a feeling we'll have to do something like this once the baby comes out. :-)

Anonymous said...

Whatever you do, don't weigh yourself! At least wait until you've been working at it for about 3 months and have started to see progress. The whole "moment-by-moment" suspense kills my initiative! Besides, it's what you look like/how your clothes fit/how healthy you feel that counts. The scale is just a number that can either boost or detract from morale. I say throw it away! ;-)

Anonymous said...

p.s. Banana pops! They rule! I'll post a recipe and explanation on my blog soon.