Sunday, September 03, 2006

Slow Cooker Chicken Tortilla Soup

I liked Jen's idea to post recipes from time to time. I made this yesterday for dinner and it was AMAZING. It's the best kind of recipe too. You simply throw everything into your crock pot and turn it on. So here it is:

1 lb boneless skinless chicken breasts
1 14.5 oz can diced tomatoes
1 10 oz can enchilada sauce(I have a good EASY recipe for this that I will post later)
1 medium onion, chopped
1 4 oz can chopped grean chili peppers
2 cloves garlic, minced
2 cups water
1 14.5oz can chicken broth
1 t cumin
1 t chili powder
1 t salt
1/4 t black pepper
1 bay leaf
1 10 oz package frozen corn
1 T chopped cilantro

Place Chicken, tomatoes, enchilada sauce, onion, green chilis, and garlic into slow cooker. Pour in water and chicken broth, and season with cumin, chili powder, salt, pepper, and bay leaf. Stir in corn and cilantro. Cover and cook on low setting for 6 to 8 hours, or on high setting for 3 to 4 hours.

I used 2 frozen chicken breasts and just took them and shredded them about an hour before the soup was done. Be warned though, that it is already falling apart by this point, so use a spoon to get them out so too much heat doesn't escape. Also, I used all chicken broth instead of water to make it richer.
I am told it tastes even better the next day, but there wasn't any left, so I will have to make some more =).

1 comments:

j.j. said...

Sounds yummy. I will give it a try soon. It sounds similar to one I make called Spicy Chicken Stew. Any dish you can make in a crockpot is great!