Friday, September 01, 2006

Suggestions...

I am looking for some good fiction to read. Any ideas?

7 comments:

Unknown said...

Have you read this? http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/detail/-/0060652950?v=glance

The Budget Mommy: said...

Indeed I have not. Thank you for the suggestion.

The Budget Mommy: said...

lol...I think I have already read all of those. They used to be my favorite books when I was little.

Elizabeth said...

I don't like to make recommendations, per se, but the two books I most enjoyed reading this summer were 1) Dracula and 2)Reading Lolita in Tehran. I have an interest in Middle Eastern womens fiction, don't ask why, but the later transcends politics and women's studies. Dracula was really entertaining and not NEARLY as frightening or terrifying as I thought it might be.

The Cook said...

The Diamond Age; or, A Young Girl's Illustrated Primer -- by Neal Stephenson (that's one book).

Anonymous said...

Ok, this isn't fiction, per se, it's memoir, but it is hands down the most gorgeous and profound and funny book I have read all year. It's _The Barn at the End of the World: The Apprenticeship of a Quaker, Buddhist Shepard_. The author is Mary O'Reilly, I think.

Basically, she's a professor of English (which is why it's well-written and contains oodles of references to good books) who went to work at a sheep farm (which is why it's hilarious) for a few months and then went live at Plum Village in France (a Vietnamese Buddhist monastary run by the guy whose name I can barely pronounce and certainly can't spell) to meditate for a few months (which is why it's profound). And she talks about her spiritual journey from being a Catholic novitiate (is that the word?) as a young woman to being Quaker now, but also incorporating meditation into her practice.

She's also into shape note singing (that early form of American Sacred Music), and writes the most stunning descriptions of what it means and what it is like to sing that music.

Did I mention she's funny?

So, yeah, it's one of the best books I've read this year. I am currently recommending it to everyone I know.

Here's the amazon link:http://www.amazon.com/Barn-End-World-Apprenticeship-Shepherd/dp/1571312544/sr=1-1/qid=1157472205/ref=pd_bbs_1/102-1062560-8931304?ie=UTF8&s=books

And your daughter is stunningly amazing, by the way. :)

love,

Amanda
(your cousin!! from way up north where summer is finally over! yay!)

The Budget Mommy: said...

Hey Amanda! I had no idea so many people were reading this blog =).
Thank you vey much for the suggestions everyone...All I have been reading lately is information on vaccines, and I was ready for something a little more fun.